About The Chair on Consumer Law
The Chair on Consumer Law has been established at the National Law University, Delhi by the Department of Consumer Affairs, Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution, Government of India in the year 2019. The Chair was set up to act as a Think Tank for Research and Policy related issues on Consumer Law & Practice, and to develop Consumer Law as a distinct subject of study both at Under Graduate & Post Graduate levels.
About the Essay Competition, 2022
The Consumer Chair at National Law University Delhi proposes to organize an Essay Competition as part of the celebration of World Consumer Rights Day, 2022 (15th March). The Essay Competition endeavors to stimulate interest and foster growth amongst students to explore and engage with contemporary and seminal issues in the field of consumer law and policy. To ensure wider reach and opportunity, the Essay Competition will be open to all – including students, academics, professionals, government officials, members of consumer fora, Voluntary Consumer Organisations (VCOs)/ NGOs, etc.
- Indicative Themes
- E-commerce & Consumer Protection
- New Features of the Consumer Protection Act, 2019
- Product Safety
- Data Protection and Consumer Protection
- Use of ADR/ ODR for Redressal of Consumer disputes
- Legal Metrology Law & Consumer Protection
- Food Safety & Standards Law & Consumer Protection
The above themes are only indicative and the participants are free to choose any other topic under the broad theme of consumer protection.
To ensure wider reach and opportunity, the Competition will be open to all – including students, academics, professionals, government officials, members of consumer fora, Voluntary Consumer Organizations (VCOs)/ NGOs, etc.
- The essay must be written in English and submitted in Microsoft Word document format (.doc/.docx).
- Co-authorship up to a maximum of two authors is permitted.
- Only one submission is allowed per author/team. Submissions, both as co-author and single, will be treated as multiple submissions and will be disqualified as an entry to the competition.
- The following formatting specifications need to be strictly adhered to: Main Body: Font – Times New Roman, Font Size – 12, and Line Spacing – 1.5; Footnotes: Font – Times New Roman, Font Size – 10, and Line Spacing – 1.0; Margins should be 1 inch or 2.54 cm on all sides.
- The word limit is 2500-3000 words excluding footnotes. Footnotes must follow the Bluebook system of citation (Harvard, 20th edition).
- The essay must contain an abstract, not exceeding 250 words (which would not be counted in the word limit for the essay). It must indicate the theme/topic.
- All submissions should be made in an electronic form at [email protected] under the subject heading “Submission: Essay Competition 2022” by February 20, 2022, 23:59 hours.
How To Submit?
- The essay must be accompanied by a separate document containing the following:
- full details of the participant viz. name, institution affiliation; phone number, email ID etc;
- theme/topic chosen;
- A declaration that: “The Essay is an original work of the author(s).
- I (We) certify that my(our) submission is original, has not been published elsewhere, and is not under review or consideration elsewhere.”
- Incomplete or plagiarized submissions shall be summarily rejected. The similarity limit is 15% (excluding footnotes).
- The final publication of all submissions shall be subject to changes by the Editorial Board.
- The Board reserves the right to summarily reject or return the submission to the author/authors without feedback for non-compliance with these guidelines. In case of any dispute, the decision of the Board shall be final and binding.
- The opinion/thoughts/ideas or any view of the author expressed and published on the essay are respective views of the authors. The Chair or the Board shall not be held responsible or accountable for the opinion expressed by the author of the essay.
- The Chair reserves the right to cancel the competition without notice, in case suitable/quality entries are not received in the competition or in case of any other event outside our reasonable control.
Prizes & Certificates of Merit
- Winner: ₹ 4000 & Certificate of Merit
- Runner up: ₹ 2500 & Certificate of Merit
- Second Runner-up: Certificate of Merit
The best entries will also be published in the next issues of the Newsletter of the Chair on Consumer Law.
- Submission Deadline: February 20, 2022
- Announcement of Results: March 15, 2022
For inquiries, please email us at [email protected]