Food Safety & Guidelines has been always a Huge concern in India, For eg – Food alterations, Food hygiene, etc. Because the production capacity of Food products has dug down itself into deep roots society of India creating its production hands from Traditional food businesses which have been evolved now as Big Manufacturing Companies. But still today, we have Edible items ongoing manufacturing through these minor scale businesses involving Rough hands and 0 food safety standards.
Also, few Food Business Operators (FBO) involve rural hands in their manufacturing process which somewhere creates a point of concern regarding food safety.
Therefore, to avoid any alteration, Unhygien, Bad source FSSAI has created some guidelines, Audits, Inspections, and food safety standards to maintain the Food quality in India to protect the consumers from any bad nutrition and disease.
Obviously, In a country like India where Bare hands are involved in the Manufacturing of food, These standards for food Safety are compulsory. Also, not only with this, The big giant or even any FBO dealing in food production needs to be Inspected by FSSAI before marking their products ready for consumers in the Market.
What is FSSAI?
FSSAI stands for Food Safety and Standards Authority of India which is an organization that monitors and governs the food business in India. It is an autonomous body that is established under the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of India.
The FSSAI has been established under the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006 (FSS Act) which is a consolidating statute related to food safety and regulation in India. FSSAI Mainly undergo food quality checks and it is also laying down rules and regulations for registering and Licensing food Business in India.
FSSAI sets up some criteria for food quality and check, just to ensure the backend process of making and ensuring its quality adequate for consumers. Any business that wants to start production of any Consumable product has to register under FSSAI and obtain a License to serve their product in the market.
As per Section 31(1) & 31(2) of FSS Act, 2006 every Food Business Operator in the country is required to be licensed/registered under the Food Safety &Standards Authority of India. The licensing and registration procedure and requirements are regulated by Food Safety & Standards (Licensing and Registration of Food Business) Regulations, 2011. https://fssai.gov.in/upload/uploadfiles/files/Licensing_Regulations.pdf
The FSSAI Registration/License number consist of a 14 digit number which is printed on the product’s packaging giving details about the producer’s permit and other information which makes FBO’s more accountable to maintain the quality of their product.
Difference between FSSAI Registration & FSSAI License
FSSAI Registration is different from the FSSAI License in the sense that depending on the size and nature of the business, Food Business Operators (FBO) should obtain the necessary registration or license. Registration is meant for petty food manufacturers that include petty retailers, hawkers, itinerant vendors, or a temporary stallholder or small or cottage scale industry having annual turnover up to 12 lacs. All food businesses having income more than this limit are required to take a license.
Who Requires Registration?
FSSAI Registration is a basic license and it is required for all the FBOs involved in the small-scale food business.
- FBO with an annual turnover of not more than Rs. 12 lakh,
- Any person who involves production and selling of any food article by himself.
- Petty food products retailers
Who Requires License?
FBO’s apart from above mentioned small-scale producers, need to obtain an FSSAI license to carry out Food manufacturing or selling Business.
- FBO Having a turnover between Rs 12 lakh to Rs 20 crore.
- Dealing inter & intrastate having operation in more than 2 states.
- Importers & Exporters
FSSAI License involves Two types of License based on the size of the business dividing above mentioned categories further, i.e.,
- STATE LICENSE – FBO involving small to medium-sized manufacturing units, transporters, marketers, traders, etc., needs to take FSSAI registration from the state government.
- CENTRAL LICENSE – FBO involved in large manufacturers, importers, exporters dealing in large-scale food business need to obtain FSSAI registration from the central government
Businesses that Require FSSAI Registration/License
Businesses mandatorily require to obtain an FSSAI Registration/License are :
- small retailers and Packaged food retail shops, Snacks, Confectionery or Bakery Shop, etc.
- Food stalls Temporary or fixed stall or premise involved in the preparation, distribution, storage, and sale of food products
- Hawkers selling packaged or freshly prepared food by traveling (usually on foot or movable carts) from one location to other.
- Dairy Units, Edible Oils Processing Units.
- meat, mutton, chicken shop, lamb meat, etc. including Meat Processing and Fish Processing units
- Manufacturing/ Processing units that include Repacking of food.
- Transporter of food products having several specialized vehicles like insulated refrigerated van/wagon, milk tankers, food wagons, food trucks, etc.
- Importers and Exporters of food items including food ingredients.
- E-Commerce food suppliers including cloud kitchens.
These are the types of businesses that require FSSAI license/registration in order to manufacture, package, transport, market, sell their food products in the market.
For FSSAI License/Registration –
Hope you find this article helpful and if you have any suggestions or queries, feel free to write it down in the comments section below or mail Author
Image attribute : Image by usertrmk on Freepik
Corporate Law Student | Strategic Business Management and Development | Managing Business Development Consultancy and Ed. tech Startups |